Friday, July 24, 2015

Vanity thy name is woman

Each and every item a person carries has passed through a test on whether or not it is worth it to be carried on your back for over how ever long your Camino will last. The first couple of Albergues always have take em/leave em  places. In fact I bet you could probably bring an empty backpack and fill it with enough stuff on the tables to get you to Santiago.  On my first Camino, I left a handbag, pair of shoes, and a heavy scarf. One thing I didn't leave was my makeup. I'm a vain soul. I probably only used it every 5th day or so, but I found it nice and comforting to have when in larger cities. I suppose it is a bit of a crutch. I don't take very much - mascara,  one eye shadow, one eye liner, coverup. for my lips I just use the same Burt's bees as I do everyday on the camino. Many pilgrims don't take any at all and I first I felt a teeny bit ashamed for some reason. Granted its not a necessity, its definitely in the luxury column of things I take. But I believe in being whatever sort of pilgrim you want to be whether its wearing a reproduction medieval garment or mascara. I have decided to own who I am at this time in my life- a Make up wearer. Maybe some day in the future I will be comfortable enough in my own skin I won't need it, but I'm not going to rush or make myself feel bad about it. There are plenty of other things I already worry about. together these item wiegh not too much, but it is fun to feel dressed up in the cities. I know "its not a fashion show" but its a nice change of pace as it were to get spiffed up a bit and days of dust and sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment