Thursday, July 30, 2015

Pilgrim Book Review: The Best Way by Bill Walker

I like reading about other peoples experience on the Camino, and guessing by the sheer number of books available, I am not alone. Or mabye  just a lot of many people like to write about the Camino. Hmmm Maybe I should wirte one. Thanks to e books I don't believe it is hard as it once was to get published. Of course that would mean that I would actually need to write in the journal I like to take around with me.  Another problem altogether.  Any way on to the book.

This is the third book I have read by Bill Walker, the other two being about the Appalachian and Pacific Crest trails.  I liked both of those books quite a bit more than this one. In those he seemed to have more charm and humbleness in his tone. Gone was that. I felt he was a bit proud of himself in this memoir and a bit judgmental as well.  There is one place in the book, he gives out to a female pilgrim for not walking with his group but going off for younger better looking guys and what a great chance she missed, and went on to go as far as comparing her choice of companions, as being lazy somehow getting to comparisons with Hitler ?! Mean while all the time he seems a bit obessed with younger women. That was the worst part of the book to me. He has some good history throughout as well.

He is a good writer and the book isn't terrible. its available as both an E book and in print.  He does have a some untranslated Spanish throught out the book, I guess to remind you he is in Spain and can speak Spanish. I would recommend his other two books  before this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment