Sunday, July 26, 2015

Backpacks!!



I just love backpacks! and next to shoes, probably the biggest expense and most important peice of Camino Kit.  They are arranged from Biggest to littlest from Left-Right.  34 L Deuter,  30 L High Sierra, 24 Mountain Hardwear Wandra, 22 L Camelbak, and 22 L Gregory. All have hydration ports, and the three largerst came with rain covers. (i hate rain  Ponchos with a passion so I need the rain cover) The smallest two I use as day packs. The bright yellow one is great for the AZ desert as it came with a 3L hydration pack, most of the hiking I do where I live there is no water to be found.

 I have used the Black High Sierra on the Camino Francis from SJPP to Santiago, and the Gray Wandra on the Via de La Plata from Seville to Santiago.  I felt the High Sierra was to heavy for its volume, it didn't have enough pockets, nor a sleeping bag compartment, and it also didn't seem to take the wear and tear of a camino all that well really. The straps are pretty worn. If I can bear to part with it, I think I shall give it to my nephew for boy scouts.   I was really pleased with the wandra, I just needed a bit more space. It was like doing a puzzle to get everything in, and there was no space for food and extra bits, which was needed on some of the long stretches of the Via de La Plata.  I think they also made it in a 28L which would have been  perfect, but I wasn't able to ever find it.

I was on the look out for a new pack when I came across the Dueter Futura Pro for a great price at www.backcounty.com. It looks like it has gone back up in price, but they will probably have sales again. It is a little more volume then I really needed but the weight of the pack was fine, I think it is 3 lb 6 oz and has tons of space. It looks so much bigger than the rest as it packed right now (I am always packed/packing for Camino  ;). It also has the frame where the backpack is away from your back to try and keep you cool. So far I love it though I haven't yet put it thru its paces fully. I have high hopes this will be the one for the next few years.  It came with a yellow flower, I suppose to signify it was a women's pack, and I left it.

One caveat is there is no pouches on the hip belt, which means I will have the fun of finding a new waist  pack. I had to throw away the last one as it fell apart, but what do you expect for $6? It did make it to Santiago with the help of Duct tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment